Digital Twin for Built Environment
Position Details (PhD)
For a position as a PhD Candidate, the goal is a completed doctoral education up to an obtained doctoral degree. The Ph.D. position will offer opportunities to develop high-quality research within the field of digitalization of construction.
The position will specifically focus on information modelling of built environment.
This Ph.d position will mainly focus on the modeling of built environment: develop technology and solutions for geographical and non-geographical information capturing, processing and modelling, which will further support the smart operation, renovation and circularity.
The Ph.D. candidate will be a member of the group of a digital twin for a sustainable built environment at NTNU and will tightly cooperate with other Ph.D./post-docs in projects and research groups at the department.
You will report to the head of department.
Duties of the position
- Collecting geomatical information and non-geographical information of built environment
- Developing a method for processing and modelling for information
- Within the project, a small prototype and experimental validation of the digital twin will be performed
Required selection criteria
- You must have a professionally relevant background in Civil engineering, Computer Science and technology, or computer system engineering.
- You must meet the requirements for admission to the faculty’s doctoral program https://www.ntnu.edu/studies/phiv Your education must correspond to a five-year Norwegian degree program, where 120 credits are obtained at master’s level. You must have a strong academic background from your previous studies and an average grade from the master’s degree program, or equivalent education, which is equal to B or better compared with NTNU’s grading scale. If you do not have letter grades from previous studies, you must have an equally good academic basis. If you have a weaker grade background, you may be assessed if you can document that you are particularly suitable for a PhD education.
- Applicants must have fluent skills in both written and oral English. Non-English native speaker applicants who do not have master in Europe must provide evidence of good English language skills, written and spoken. The following tests can be used as such documentation: TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are: TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test); IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted); CAE/CPE: grade B or A. In extraordinary circumstances, formal documentation of language skills can be relinquished. In such cases, the candidate’s language skills will be assessed in a personal interview.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with Regulations concerning the degrees of Philosophiae Doctor (PhD) and Philosodophiae Doctor (PhD) in artistic research national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant
Preferred selection criteria
- Academic publication in relevant field.
- Skilled experience in GIS, BIM, and digital twin development.
- Experience in SLAM, image Processing, laser scanner, etc.
- Experience in programming skills, and artificial intelligence will be weighed
- Good written and oral English
- The candidate must be independent, have great work capacity and enthusiasm for research.
- The candidate is expected to contribute to a good research and work environment.
- Personal qualities such as creativity, analytical, and structured reasoning, as well as the ability to carry out projects will be considered in the selection process.
- The applicant must be motivated to work closely with teams and external partners
- Emphasis will be placed on personal and interpersonal qualities.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
As a PhD candidate (code 1017) you are normally paid from gross NOK 501 200 per annum before tax, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years.
Appointment to a PhD position requires that you are admitted to the PhD programme in Engineering within three months of employment, and that you participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
It is a prerequisite you can be present at and accessible to the institution daily.
About the application
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English (ta stilling til dette)
Publications and other scientific work must follow the application. Please note that your application will be considered based solely on information submitted by the application deadline. You must therefore ensure that your application clearly demonstrates how your skills and experience fulfil the criteria specified above.
The application must include :
- CV and certificates
- transcripts and diplomas for bachelor’s and master’s degrees. If you have not completed the master’s degree, you must submit a confirmation that the master’s thesis has been submitted.
- A copy of the master’s thesis. If you recently have submitted your master’s thesis, you can attach a draft of the thesis. Documentation of a completed master’s degree must be presented before taking up the position.
- Project proposal /Research plan (no more than 2 pages)
- Name and contact information of three referees
- If you have publications or other relevant research work
If all, or parts, of your education has been taken abroad, we also ask you to attach documentation of the scope and quality of your entire education, both bachelor’s and master’s education, in addition to other higher education. Description of the documentation required can be found here. If you already have a statement from NOKUT, please attach this as well.
We will take joint work into account. If it is difficult to identify your efforts in the joint work, you must enclose a short description of your participation.
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal and interpersonal qualities. Motivation, ambitions, and potential will also count in the assessment of the candidates.