PhD scholarships in Australia have a special place in the hearts of international students applying for PhD positions. The applicants who seek to go to Australia actively search for terms like “PhD scholarships Australia”, “PhD scholarships in Australia”, “PhD scholarship Australia”, “PhD in Australia cost”, “PhD scholarship in Australia”, “PhD fees in Australia”, “Australian PhD scholarships”, etc.
Usually, applicants contact research supervisors before officially applying to universities or scholarships. Most candidates choose Australia as a destination because of its advanced facilities, high-ranking universities, and excellent research opportunities. In terms of the quality of education, this country is at the top of the global list. It can be said that Australia has the top universities in the world. This factor has encouraged many candidates to pursue doctoral studies in this country. We discussed, in our previous article, the various conditions for getting scholarships in Australia. Herein, we will provide you with some of the top doctoral scholarships available in Australia.
Governmental PhD Scholarships in Australia
1) Research Training Program (RTP)
The Australian government runs the Research Training Program (RTP). RTP provides block grants, on a calendar year basis, to Australian universities. It supports overseas students undertaking research doctorate and research master’s degrees, known as higher degrees by research (HDRs). The objectives of the RTP scheme are:
- Providing flexible funding arrangements to support the training of international students undertaking HDRs at Australian universities.
- Delivering graduates with the skills required to build careers in academia and industry.
- Supporting collaboration between universities and industry, and other research end-users.
- Supporting overseas students undertaking HDR studies at Australian universities.
Students can be offered RTP Scholarships for one or more of the following:
- Tuition fees offset.
- Stipend for general living costs.
- Allowances related to the ancillary cost of research degrees.
These scholarships will include 3 years of study fees and also 6 months of extension. The Australian government supports not only the PhD candidates but also their families during this period. This support will also include health coverage. Watch this video to learn about step by step RTP application process.
This PhD scholarship in Australia is distributed to applicants from most Australian universities including the University of Sydney, Australian National University (ANU), the University of Melbourne, UNSW Sydney, etc. RTP grant is administered by individual universities which have their own application and selection process.
Students need to contact their chosen provider directly to discuss how to apply for the RTP scheme. Be aware that each of these universities may list this scholarship with a different title on their websites. For instance, ANU and the University of Sydney name it as Australian Government Research Training Program (AGRTP) and the University of Sydney International Scholarship, respectively, with the following details:
1-1) ANU – AGRTP
The Australian National University ranks first in this country according to QS World University Rankings. The university has a strong track record of collaboration and industrial partnerships, making it one of the best research centers in the world. Scholarships are given to PhD candidates by the government of Australia. We suggest contacting or communicating with your prospective supervisor before applying for your field of study. If you would like to apply for this scholarship via the ANU application, please visit this page.
1-2) The University of Sydney International Scholarship
As one of the world’s top 50 universities, the University of Sydney is the one with the best research and teaching quality for those who want to attend for PhD. This university offers a wide range of academic programs for PhD candidates around the world. Students can find the latest research opportunities at this university and continue studying in various fields.
Since this university has a wide range of fields of study, the chance of getting a scholarship is relatively high. Australian government awards this scholarship to PhD students with a value of $35,629 (2022 rate). These costs will include both tuition fees and stipend. If you would like to apply for this scholarship via the University of Sydney application, please visit this page. You can find out about the key deadlines here.
2) Earmarked Scholarships at the University of Queensland
One of the most prestigious research and study centers in Australia is the University of Queensland. The high quality and innovativeness of research projects have made this university one of the top in the world. All international students can apply for PhD scholarships in Australia at this university. If you intend to study at a high-ranked university with a leading educational system, choosing the University of Queensland is an excellent option. Australian Government provides Earmarked scholarships to assist PhD students.
An Earmarked PhD scholarship includes tuition fees and living expenses, which makes it a good opportunity for students. This scholarship is for research projects aligned with recently awarded Category 1 research grants. Therefore, PhD students have the opportunity to contribute to large projects of national significance and work with leading researchers.
University PhD Scholarships in Australia
1) China Scholarship Council – University of Melbourne PhD Scholarship
The University of Melbourne ranks 33rd among the universities in the world in 2022 according to Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings. This university is one of the best research facilities in the world, which provides students with unique research opportunities for PhD. This issue has made many PhD applicants choose the University of Melbourne as their study destination. This university has the best student communities. The activity, competition, and enthusiasm among the students of this university are very high and most people find their potential talents in the excellent environment.
Both the China Scholarship Council and the University of Melbourne are providing this PhD scholarship available only to citizens of the People’s Republic of China. Both the University of Melbourne and the China Scholarship Council will cover return airfares, a stipend of 22,800 AUD per year (2023 rate), and visa application fees. There is also a supplemental living allowance of 11,600 AUD per year (2023 rate) that goes along with the full tuition scholarship for up to four years.
2) Graduate Research Scholarship at the University of Melbourne
Applying for this university is very easy. Because you will not need to fill out a separate form to apply for a full scholarship. When you apply for this university, your name will be automatically included in the list of Graduate Research Scholarship applicants. They will assess your education history, research background, GPA, English proficiency test scores, etc. As a winner, you will get 34,400 AUD per year (2023 rate) for up to 3.5 years. If you need to relocate, you will be given 3,000 AUD for relocation.
3) Monash Graduate Scholarship (MGS)
Monash University is one of the best universities in Australia and also in the world. This university is at the top level in terms of its educational and research system. This university ranks 58th in the world in 2022 according to QS World University Rankings. Being on the list of the world’s top universities has made Monash University one of the most popular studies and research destinations for PhD students. This university is continuing its activity in 6 separate locations in the state of Victoria.
Students from all over the world can apply for MGS scholarship from this university. As part of this scholarship, you will receive 30,000 AUD per year (2023 rate) which covers living expenses, and an additional 1,500 AUD relocation grant. All students from all over the world can apply for a scholarship from Monash University.
4) William T. Southcott Scholarship at the University of South Australia
The University of South Australia is one of the best research and educational centers in this country. The quality of research projects in this university is so high that raised the ranking of the University of South Australia among others. On the other hand, the presence of the best professors and cutting-edge facilities in this university have also a huge impact on its ranking.
All students from all over the world can apply for the William T. Southcott Scholarship, if they intend to continue studying in the field of practical Engineering. This PhD scholarship in Australia is worth 32,000 AUD per year (2022 rate) which covers 3 to 3.5 years of study. This scholarship is for PhD studies in one of the following fields:
Civil Engineering, Transport Engineering, Water Resources Management, Engineering Management, Autonomous Systems, Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering, Electronic Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Information Engineering, and Systems Engineering.
5) International Research Scholarship at the University of Technology Sydney
This university is located in the heart of Sydney, which is one of the best scientific centers in the world. The University of Technology Sydney (UTS), as the name suggests, is one of the best universities in the world in the field of technology. The academic ranking of UTS is very high, which is why it attracts talented students from all over the world. The International Research Scholarship covers only tuition fees for up to 3.5 years, and all international students can apply for it.
We mentioned some examples of PhD scholarships in Australia here, which are one of the most popular options in the world. In addition to introducing the universities, we have provided links to each of them separately so that you can visit the university’s website and get to know the exact conditions for obtaining scholarships. Do not forget that to get a PhD in Australia, you must apply before the key deadline. You also need to contact academic supervisors or the university graduate team before submitting an official application for a university or scholarship. By fully reading the university’s websites and admission requirements, you will learn about all the required details, and be able to apply for any scholarships.
University Pages for Finding PhD Scholarships in Australia
- Australian National University (ANU): https://www.anu.edu.au/study/scholarships/find-a-scholarship
- University of Canberra: https://www.canberra.edu.au/future-students/study-at-uc/scholarships
- Australian Catholic University (ACU): https://www.acu.edu.au/study-at-acu/fees-and-scholarships
- Charles Sturt University: https://www.csu.edu.au/scholarships
- Macquarie University: https://www.mq.edu.au/study/admissions-and-entry/scholarships
- Southern Cross University: https://www.scu.edu.au/scholarships/
- University of New England (UNE): https://www.une.edu.au/scholarships
- UNSW Sydney: https://research.unsw.edu.au/graduate-research-scholarships
- University of Newcastle: https://www.newcastle.edu.au/scholarships
- University of Sydney: https://www.sydney.edu.au/scholarships/
- UTS: https://www.uts.edu.au/study/scholarships
- Western Sydney University: https://www.westernsydney.edu.au/future/why-western/scholarships
- University of Wollongong (UOW): https://www.uow.edu.au/study/scholarships/
- Charles Darwin University: https://www.cdu.edu.au/scholarships
- Bond University: https://bond.edu.au/entry-to-bond/scholarships
- CQ University: https://www.cqu.edu.au/courses/future-students/scholarships
- Griffith University: https://www.griffith.edu.au/scholarships
- James Cook University (JCU): https://www.jcu.edu.au/scholarships
- Queensland University of Technology (QUT): https://www.qut.edu.au/study/fees-and-scholarships/scholarships
- University of Queensland (UQ): https://scholarships.uq.edu.au/
- University of Southern Queensland: https://www.unisq.edu.au/scholarships
- UniSC: https://www.usc.edu.au/study/scholarships
- Flinders University: https://www.flinders.edu.au/scholarships?q=
- Torrens University Australia: https://www.torrens.edu.au/how-to-apply/fees-scholarships/scholarships
- University of Adelaide: https://www.adelaide.edu.au/scholarships/
- University of South Australia: https://i.unisa.edu.au/students/scholarships/
- University of Tasmania: https://www.utas.edu.au/study/scholarships-fees-and-costs
- Deakin University: https://www.deakin.edu.au/study/fees-and-scholarships/scholarships
- Federation University of Australia: https://federation.edu.au/current-students/starting-at-federation/scholarships
- La Trobe University: https://www.latrobe.edu.au/study/scholarships
- Monash University: https://www.monash.edu/study/fees-scholarships/scholarships/find-a-scholarship
- RMIT University: https://www.rmit.edu.au/study-with-us/international-students/apply-to-rmit-international-students/fees-and-scholarships/scholarships
- Swinburne University of Technology: https://www.swinburne.edu.au/study/options/scholarships/
- University of Divinity: https://divinity.edu.au/scholarships-and-grants/
- University of Melbourne: https://scholarships.unimelb.edu.au/
- Victoria University (VU): https://www.vu.edu.au/study-at-vu/fees-scholarships/scholarships
- Curtin University: https://scholarships.curtin.edu.au/
- Edith Cowan University: https://www.ecu.edu.au/scholarships/overview
- Murdoch University: https://www.murdoch.edu.au/study/scholarships
- University of Notre Dame Australia: https://www.notredame.edu.au/current-students/opportunities/scholarships
- University of Western Australia: https://www.uwa.edu.au/study/fees-and-scholarships
Who can apply for PhD scholarships in Australia?
All international and domestic PhD applicants from a wide range of fields and majors like engineering, science, medicine, etc.
Are these PhD scholarships easy to get?
No! They are one of the best PhD financial support in the world. Therefore, they are highly competitive.
Governmental or university PhD scholarships?
It depends on what you are looking for. There is no single answer to this question. You may read through their description to collect as much information as you need.